Thread: People Problem
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

To carry on from Tomsteve, with the fourth step. "The first thing apparent is that this world and it's people were often quite wrong. To conclude that others were wrong was as far as most of us ever got. The usual outcome was that people continued to wrong us and we stayed sore. The more we fought to have our own way, the worse matters got?" Page 66.

There is more to read and it highlights how dangerous this state of affairs is to the alcoholic.
There is a suggested course of action.

I understand about "bad"towns. There is one I remember from my drinking days. The people I met were intolerant and cruel. I wouldn't even fly over that place unless I was in a Lancaster bomber full of horseshit. But I learned that my behaviour contributed to their reaction.

The alcoholic is not always wrong about these things, but it pays to be sure of our facts. Also, we are not powerless over people places and things, we can always move if we want to.

The big mistake I usually made with a geographical shift was taking me with me. If my problem was internal, it will make itself felt wherever I go.

There are always people we don't like. "We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity,, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend."

Maybe some quiet prayer and meditation will help you reach the right answer.