View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I'd like some input from sober members out there that either used AA for a while then decided to do it on their own or people who got sober without AA.

I don't have a problem with the program but I don't feel like the type of program I've been taught in the last two years which includes you aren't allowed to think or you'll drink, going to enough meetings will stop me from drinking or praying will solve my problems. I understand the idea behind it but taking it literally is not working at keeping me sober without taking some accountability into my own hands and meetings don't always help.

I have a strict sponsorship line so that might be part of the turn off for me and maybe there is another way to go but the thing is it's not working for me. The whole point is to stay sober and AA is great to a point but I'm told if you don't do AA or it's not working for you then you aren't truly working the program and it's your fault. I like the support of going to meetings but I need to find what works for me.

I know this isn't a popular idea in AA and I don't want to offend anyone but any shares will be helpful.

Thanks!
good stuff there. there is a difference between peoples perspective of the program and what the program truly suggests, which I don't think I recall the program as outlined in the BB says if ya think youll drink. meetings gets a person sober, praying will solve yer problems, or if its not working for yu its your fault.
what I read in the BB is our thinking needs an overhaul,theres action to getting sober( goin to meetings and not drinkin doesn't work too good), praying then listening for solutions is good( not just praying), and even AA says it isn't a cure all and outside help may be necessary.
I found nothing wrong with askin,"wheres that in the big book?"

no matter which way a person gets and stays sober, I also believe there is accountability and responsibility.

I also believe staying with something that isn't working would be rather insane.
theres many different routes to take and I hope ya find what works for you.