Thread: Hurt
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
growpath
learning to live

Awe Luper, Hang in there!

Remember you are getting sober for YOU and only you. People are going to talk NO MATTER what. And they are usually doing this bc they are miserable with their life. Remember it is your choice what comments or stares you allow to get to you.

Aha! The "have you been drinking" comment. Its almost like they want us to fail. sigh. Well at least thats how we take it mostly. Next time tell that person it bothers you when they ask that. Get that conversation over with and I hope they are decent enough of a human to not do it again if they know it bothers you. I had to mention things like this to people. My sobriety is most important to me and if it means a small awkward moment or a small argument oh well it needed to be said. People are also ignorant and it is possible they don't even see these comments making such a deep impact. Remember they aren't alcoholics...they don't and never will get it and that OK! either way you deserve to be respected to a manner that you think is acceptable The only way people will know and respect this manner is if you express it. You're worth it and these 9 days are something to hold one to bc believe me it gets better. My first two weeks were TERRIBLE. I just kept reminding myself those terrible days were like slices of heaven compared to any drunk day I had in the past 7 years! Keep going. I am here along with all of SR if you need a friend!

It's true getting out is a good thing. I isolated so much when I drank and I think any time I am alone my addiction just "goes there".

Day 9 is absolutely awesome! Hang in there and give it some time. Start building a new life. I am going to start going to meetings this week as I was facing the same mindset as you last night. Just know sober you are handling all this 100000 times better than you would if you were drinking still. Hang in there and hang around here, it helps!