Thread: Hurt
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Boudicca

Originally Posted by Luper View Post
On day 9 now and physically feeling great.

Been avoiding the phone, except for my son. My "friend" called this morning, so I let it go to voicemail. First comment was "are you drunk"? Ok, so maybe I deserve it, but it's that type of thing I am trying to avoid right now. My head is still in a fog, and my emotions are very up and down.

I do isolate and rarely leave my house. My therapist told me it's time to get out there and meet new friends. I'm going for a walk, by myself, to clear my head and get out of the house. Hard for me to meet new people as I am pretty introverted and don't trust easily anymore.

Hard to ignore the stares and comments, but I knew it was going to happen. But when that happens, I think to myself - well, you guys all think I'm still drinking, guess I might as well.

No worries, I have to quit listening to the negative and focus on myself this time. I will beat this and show them I can do it.

Thanks for listening.
One of the things I realized once I stopped drinking was how unbelievably empty my life has become There was only room for the addictions.
I too have few friends and over the last several years managed to isolate myself from everyone and everything save my DH. Alcohol takes everything you have......it wants you isolated and alone so it can have its way with you. The more alone we are the more we can feed our addiction.
I know how hard it is......
We need to take it slow. I force myself to leave the house at least once per day, even if only for a walk. I also force myself into public regularly, even if my AV tells me I can't or shouldn't. I don't want my comfort zone. My comfort zone is going to kill me, lol.

I have to force myself out of it or nothing will be any different. You are on the right track. Focus on you, not them.