Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

Thotful, I come from a long line of heavy drinkers. My parents have drank nightly since I can remember, however, I never considered them alcoholics. My father is/was a successful executive and my mother was his beautiful, Type A companion and champion. About 10 years ago, I started noticing that my mom would get really, really drunk at family functions. (of course, the rest of us were pretty drunk, so I felt I had no room to judge) About two years ago, I started hearing a slurry voice some mornings when I was talking to her and she actually started showing up to family functions drunk. We started finding empty bottles of wine in hidden places. Now she goes on benders at least once or twice a month. She is in her late 60s. I am in my 40s and I quit drinking almost nine months ago because I am so fearful of turning into her. She is in so much denial and my heavy drinking, enabler father continues to feed into her denial. I would say my mom probably drank less than I did when she was in her 40s, so yes, I can say without a doubt it is a progressive disease. If I did not allow my parents to drink in front of us, there is no doubt they would pick alcohol over us (their children and grandchildren). It truly is horrifying to witness first hand, but the good of it is that their problems are a major component of keeping me sober and stopping the cycle with my children.