View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
shil2587

For me, it's not a question of what other people might think or how it might affect the alcoholic in my life. I stopped drinking because alcohol became the thing that tore up my relationship. Drinking wasn't in any way enjoyable. I hated it and when I was around drinking I would get angry and silently judge. Later when I had the occasional glass, I did it to somehow get even. I know that's stupid but the thought would cross my mind that if he could drink then why shouldn't I? Then on the two occasions I did so, I proceeded to get pretty drunk because it made me feel closer to him l and felt like a way of taking my anger out on something, me.

So I chose not to drink ever again because it made me hurt and feel uncomfortable. Only in the last month have I had a drink with friends and not felt anxious about it.

I suppose I am saying that if drinking makes you feel uncomfortable then don't. Give yourself time to heal. It's like PTSD. Or it was for me. It really doesn't matter whether it affects others or what they think about it. If you need to stop, do. If it doesn't bother you, great.