View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I really hope you are right Liz, for your son's sake if nothing else.

However, my gut tells me this is just another well played card in a long series of manipulations. He's been holding this "ace" up his sleeve for a very, very long time because it's a BIG one & just when you are the closest you've EVER come to independence during this struggle, he decides to use it as trump. After everything that has happened, he's had this unprompted epiphany & is ready to take ownership of everything he denied and/or argued aggressively against previously. Really?

IMO what matters is whether you let it sway you on your boundaries/your goals which is why (again, IMO) you need to be very clear with YOURSELF about how much, how long, what exactly you want out of all of this without waiting to make those decisions based on his recovery success or failure.

I'm really happy for you that things are progressing nicely for your job & your son's schooling! Keep baby stepping!!
I'm not sure it was unprompted, though. He had been going to a new therapist who had him working through some self help books and having him do assignments at home, etc. He was willingly doing these things and it was all on him, I had said nothing at that point. He had a painfully embarrassing episode while on a business trip 2 weeks ago and that's when he threw himself into AA. I know that the car service who found his phone called his biggest client in San Diego and they called his boss (just using the last few phone numbers to try to find him to get the phone to him) and me, and they were pretty clear about where he left his phone. I know he was quite embarrassed about the whole episode.

The crapstorm at home was just the icing on the cake, but I may be completely wrong. Things still stink here at the house anyway. He hides in his office watching Game of Thrones on Netflix and I tend to life as usual. As has been said to me many times before; only time will tell.....