Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
hardhearts

Originally Posted by Robert777 View Post
Yeah real alcoholics as apposed to those who are only heavy drinkers. Those who suffer the disease of alcoholism as opposed to heavy drinkers who can stop drinking when things go bad in their lives. There IS a difference.
Maybe there is a difference, but that's not for anyone to decide but the person themselves. I never suffered any major consequences, so maybe by your standards I don't qualify. Yet, I know I am an alcoholic because when I drink something happens to me that does not happen to normal drinkers. And I cannot recognize that, remember that, and stop on my own. My personal recovery has been greatly aided by the fellowship of AA, the support I have been given, and my willingness to work the steps with my sponsor and stop comparing myself to other people. My life is infinitely better sober. That tells me all that I need to know.

As far as the obsession being lifted, it comes to some more quickly than others for various reasons. Everyone is different and will struggle with different things in their recovery. Some people come in and out of recovery and relapse for years. Some people quit drinking and it sticks the first time. The perceived "easiness" of another's recovery has nothing to do with whether or not they're alcoholic. I am sorry your journey has been so difficult and that you have not found something that has worked for you yet. I hope you will keep giving programs chances, fair ones, and that you will find something that will help you. Best x