Old 06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

I'm an atheist and said so outright (but not dogmatically) recently when I was the "qualifying" speaker at an AA meeting. I think NYC AA has a reputation for being more tolerant of atheism than most other AA LOL!

I attend AA meetings regularly, do service, have a home group, and I talk to someone in the program every day, but I don't currently have a sponsor. I've been told by people in the program with a lot of years of sobriety that the program won't work for me unless I believe in a god, and I've also been told by people in the program with a lot of years of sobriety exactly the opposite.

I think it's obvious that the "full program" of AA has belief in god as its core. I find I benefit from AA a lot, even without that dimension, because I benefit from being around other people who are trying to get honest and are open about their toxic relationship with alcohol. Another kind of sobriety group might work just as well for me, but I need some amount of face-to-face and AA by now feels familiar.

For me, I learn something from listening to the way other people deal with their alcoholism. Some of the ways they deal may not appeal to me now, but it's all food for thought. I've thought a lot about other people's belief in god/gods, and that has encouraged me to look in new ways for sources of sustenance in my own life.