Old 06-13-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
degadar

Being Atheist in the UK is far more acceptable to the public than is being Alcoholic. Our politicians are shuffled out the back door as soon as they admit to having a drink problem and we have no problem whatsoever putting Atheists in positions of power or trust which I know isn't the case in other parts of the world.

I'm sure many people do find that a faith makes them feel better - but a bottle of scotch used to make me feel better too. What makes you feel good, isn't necessarily good. Religion causes cognitive dissonance - stress between what you observe with your own eyes and ears and what the writings of some old book of outdated, badly-translated, superstitious claptrap says.

Stress of any kind isn't good for us. Better just to admit to ourselves that we have a problem and know that we also have the power within us to fix it. No Higher Power is necessary, just a grip on reality and a ton of hard work.

If it was the case that Atheists were unable or less likely to quit than 12-steppers or Shinto-soberists or Koranic-quitters then there might be some argument for religion when it comes to sobriety...

...but there ain't.

May the FSM strengthen your resolve with the lightest touches of his noodly appendages.

Deg.