Old 06-13-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I simple have no interest in higher power. My personal views is that universe is fantastic and wondrous enough all on it own and not need any gods or higher powers. I not think is any special meaning or purpose to human life, moreso than any other creature. (Is just our little extra glob of neocortex make us hella lot more narcissistic and complicated.)
I'm with you on this, Cow. I'm an agnostic atheist. I'm working through AA's 12 Steps as well, but have been doing it a little differently than most, probably. I currently do not attend AA meetings, but do plan to work on finding some more meetings in my area than the Clubhouse I previously attended. I like the idea of a fellowship, and the unity within AA. It's odd that I do, because I'm so not a joiner. Never have been. I think being in a group of other alcoholics is something I need at times, but I also see the program as one of suggestion. And I work it in my way. And that's a good thing. Because this is my recovery. It's not a one-size-fits-all.

So, to answer your question... my worldview of course colors my recovery, but my recovery is also independent of my worldview. I'm a recovering alcoholic just as any believer is a recovering alcoholic, and finding similarities there helps me.

Edited: Wanted to add that I do think there's meaning to be found in this life, and it's on each of us to search for and find that meaning. Thinking Viktor Frankl here.