Thread: I don't want to
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
hokey

Hi Finch and welcome to SR! I'm a mom too, but unfortunately I didn't start to sober up until they were grown and gone from our home. They grew up with a drunk, checked-out mother. I started trying to quit when they were pre-teen and you don't know how badly I wish it had stuck then. But it didn't. I too wasn't willing to quit drinking forever. How sad for my boys!
This time around (and believe me, I am no expert! Only on day 19) I have been leaning heavily on my AA buddies, going to meetings and really connecting with these wonderful, sober people. They have much wisdom to share. And SR has been a godsend to me. My approach to my sobriety is on much firmer ground than it ever has been ... because I am humble and willing to open my stubborn alcoholic brain to the possibility of a better life. Everyone's road to recovery is their own personal journey, and for me, this is what works today. I only wish I had done it sooner. But it is what is ... I am sober today and will be sober when I go to bed tonight.

I wish you the best of luck ... find what works for you. Everything will work out in time ... just be sober today.

Onward ...