View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

seems to me that part of your motivation is to 'come clean' - which I agree can be very helpful in supporting your sobriety by releasing the burden of shame and self-loathing caused by lying to people we care about.

Still - in your words I hear a longing and a regret regarding the loss of the relationship and I wonder if there's something here about you hoping this admission will cause her to somehow want to come back to you....

If you can keep to the first purpose in this meeting - I'd say perhaps there is real value in it.

"Hey, I'm feeling really down on myself about having deceived you. I know that it's selfish of me to ask for you to meet with me, then drop a bomb on you that informs you of the false self I showed you during our time together. I appreciate your willingness and hope you'll forgive me for this, but even if you can't forgive me - it's an important step for me simply to admit it as I try to do all I can to support my sobriety. Thank you for meeting with me and hearing me.

It strikes me that it might be really hard - especially so early on - for you to stick to that agenda and not find yourself trying to advance another aspect that is more related to your wanting the relationship back.... but it seems you're going to do this because something in you is strongly driven to.

Whatever the case, maybe you can spend some very honest time with yourself getting really clear on your motivation, expectations and how you'll keep to the core point; your own wellness.