View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
honeypig

bgb, welcome to SR. This is a wonderful, supportive community and I hope you find help for yourself here.

While your desire to "stand by your man" is admirable, unfortunately he himself is the only one who can make the decision to get sober. He is the only one who can do the work and make the changes. What you describe doesn't sound like someone who is even close to that.

I'd like to suggest that you read as much here as possible, and make sure to check out the stickied threads at the top of the page. Educating yourself about alcoholism will go a long way in helping you decide what you want to do in the coming days. You'll likely recognize yourself in many of the posts; you are NOT alone.

I'd also like to suggest getting to an Alanon meeting. Having some face-to-face support in addition to online can be a very good thing. Here's a link to help you find one: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

Please do remember, as others have said--his drinking is not about you and whether he loves you or not. It's about him being an alcoholic.

Wishing you strength and clarity.