View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
LadyinBC
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by bgb1980 View Post
how do I begin this conversation? I don't want to hurt him and I don't want to set off a binge...do these conversations ever work? can you be enough of a reason for someone to want to be healthy and work to stay sober? or am I just dreaming that this man could ever love me enough to be able to walk away from alcohol?
You are not responsible for setting him off on a binge. When I was drinking I found lots of excuses to drink and I can tell you not one of those excuses was ever my fault. It was my choice to pick and drink, it is also his choice. No one "forces" us or "makes" us. However, we are quite happy to let you think this so that we can continue to have an excuse to drink. And notice how you walk on eggshells so that you won't set him off. That is what we want you to do because you are interfering in our drinking.

You have already gone thru this with one man, in my opinion, you should walk away from this one before you invest in anymore time with him. You can't fix him.

I had to walk away from the alcohol for me. I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to be drunk. He doesn't sound like he really wants to put the effort into staying sober.

Lady gave some great advice on trying to find out why we make these relationship choices. It is not uncommon to move from one alcoholic to the next. Because you couldn't fix the first one, you keep trying to fix someone else. Not on purpose mind you, but it is a cycle and it does repeat itself. We do stick with what we are use to and what is familiar. It is human nature.

Be good to yourself and always look out for yourself first. Do what your gut tells you, not your emotions or heart.

So sorry that you are having to go thru this, but you will find lots of support and help here.