Thread: Saying hi
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by notdrunkrg View Post
I've found replacing "can't" in my mind's voice with "don't" helps immensely. I don't know why this has never dawned on me before, but obviously that change in language changes the power balance.

I don't know if this psychological game I'm playing makes up any of AVRT (haven't had the time to dig in yet) but I hope it does.
Of course it does. Success here will depend on a great deal on the words you choose to frame this. And you are right, the whining that accompanies the 'I wanna drink and I caaaaaaaaan't' is the AV, the voice of the addiction speaking. Recognize it as that pleasure drive gone wonky, bent on trading your life for just another coupla beers. It is any thought that points you back to drinking, or expresses doubt in your ability to choose and succeed. If you read around SR, you can see it all over the place.

You have decided that you don't drink, and that you will have a future with some calm, success, self respect and a little bit of happy now and then. You have made this rational decision, as any rational person in our position would do. You have the power in you to say No, no more.

'Can't' is AV. 'Don't and won't, dammit' are words that come from you. Recognize that AV when it pipes up and you will be able to separate what YOU want from what IT wants. Well done, NotDrunkRG. Awesome. Onward!