Thread: Saying hi
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
notdrunkrg

Went to a relatives grad party today (which was dry, even if it wasn't, I don't think it would have been too challenging, mostly distant family so barely know anyone) but my brother in law was there and one of the few things we have in common is beeeeer. In fact I believe it is the only thing we have in common.

With zero effort the beer popped into my head and I had moments of weakness where I slipped into a "I can't drink" mentality, which makes a whiny little turd (internally, none of this is external).

I've found replacing "can't" in my mind's voice with "don't" helps immensely. I don't know why this has never dawned on me before, but obviously that change in language changes the power balance.

So, ordinarily we would have left the grad party and went across town to my brother in laws where we would have swilled beer all night while our wives talked up inane things. Didn't do that (not to avoid the situation, but because of kid related obligations) so now we're on our way home (130 miles).

And lo, here's another spot where beer pops into my head: we need to stop and eat and normally we'd hit something brewpub-ish. Damn it. But again, saying "I don't drink" just changes the game for me. So here I go (after the wife comes out of H and M - I'm not typing this much while my family waits) - I'm going to a brewpub and gonna have some food and water, and let's see if I'm a salty little turdburglar or if I'm come out of it feeling stronger.

I don't know if this psychological game I'm playing makes up any of AVRT (haven't had the time to dig in yet) but I hope it does.