View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DURF

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome DURF. Sounds like perhaps you have found a new doctor that is going to be more helpful, meds are tricky to be certain.

Regarding your quote above, be aware that there are many disabled or otherwise physically restricted individuals who do live full lives and participate in society quite well despite their physical disabilities. It is a challenge to be certain, but life is full of challenges. SR is a great place to learn, it's my main support mechanism and I hope you can find what you need here.
Sorry, I started this post yesterday, but got too sick to finish it. I'll try and do it now....

Let me explain my "disability", I'm able to walk with a cane or a walker, so I guess I'm more handicapped than disabled. I can't cut my lawn or do yard work, but I do try to do something. I can drive a car and I do enjoy driving my GTO muscle car as often as I can. My wife and I go on vacations, but are limited to what we can do, so we usually take a cruise. As a matter of fact, we just got back from one before I started my detox. But again, I am limited to what I can do, but lucky that I can do some of the things I used to enjoy.

Originally Posted by Mamahawk View Post
Durf, it sounds like you have been through a lot. I was addicted to hydrocodone for 20 years. I am 18 days clean today. The last two years of my addiction I took 12-14 at a time, as many times a day as possible. Sometimes up to 50 if I could get an rx. There was no limit to how many I would take. The WDs get better. It takes time. You have to be strong. It's hard. Fight for it! I am here with you.
I started on so many different "cocktails" of mixed narcotics I was a zombie. At that time however my body was racked with pain, still is, but not as bad, I thought. I abused Oxycontin like M&M's and would run out before my next script was ready. So after going into withdrawals so many times I was switched over to Methadone 8 years ago and never abused them. They worked, but it's such a strange drug that one would go into withdrawals for no reason. I wanted off all narcotics, but never thought of the pain it was "Masking".

Yesterday was day 7 and the worse day of my detox. I ended up in the ER yesterday afternoon and was told I can not just stop and detox like I was. I was put back on Suboxone and within an hour I was back to my old self and feeling much better and NOT in pain!!! Not only was I suffering from the withdrawals, I was also in severe pain from my neck and down the right side of my body from my injuries. I guess the chronic pain will never go away and I'm going to have to be on some type of pain medication for life. I'm very disappointed, but glad my suffering is over for the most part. I go and see my spine doctor tomorrow and we are going to work out some type of plan to keep the chronic pain away. I have my medical marijuana license, but the state I live in only has 2-3 dispensaries and are in the other end of the state. I can deal with that, but can't deal with the horrific chronic pain without some type of relief.

Let me ask you something Mamahawk, after day 20 now, how do you feel? Are you still hurting? And if not, how long did it take for you to feel somewhat like your old self?

In a way I feel like I failed, but then again the pain is a powerful argument to keep myself on some type of pain relief...........

I'll still keep coming here for help and to help anyone who has the same condition I have. Being in severe chronic pain being masked by narcotic pain meds is a very tricky situation. One that I really gave no thought to until the drugs were gone from my body. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with no where to go...............

Thanks to ALL!!!!!
Durf