Thread: Progress?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
gingasaurus

Originally Posted by jjj111 View Post
One thing I learned from my relationship with my AXBF is to listen to the addict's actions and not their words. Talking can raise our hopes when we express our frustration and in response the addict tells us what we want to hear, but only actions can really demonstrate a dedication to recovery.

I'm sorry to say it, G, but from everything you said in your last post, I don't think he's done. The reassurance he gave you by text sounds kind of vague and not like a solid plan for recovery.

Time will tell more. Have you thought about going to Nar-Anon or Al-Anon? Face to face support can be so very helpful.
Yes, I agree that words don't mean much to me any more. Though he never talks about anything, so the fact that we even talked about it means something to me. I know it's very possible that he could just be telling me what I want to hear, but at least I got what I wanted to say out while he's sober which isn't something I've ever really been able to do before.

I just looked up the meetings a little while ago and I think there is an Al-anon meeting on Wednesday that I'm going to go to. (It's listed as Alateen and AFG so I don't know if it's really appropriate for a 25 year-old with no kids, but I guess I'll find out!) Unfortunately there aren't any nar-anon meetings in any reasonable distance.

I definitely agree that only time will tell. I'm just choosing to be positive because I can't control what he chooses to do, only how I react to it.