View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mirage74

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
Mirage, I remember somewhere hearing that in a dysfunctional family there is sometimes resentment if one of the members chooses to pull away. They may see your refusal to interact as a judgement upon the family system... and rightly so. Misery loves company. Whatever your role in the family was, perhaps they still want you to play it. Don't let them pull you down. Sometimes you have to get away,to heal your self in order to build a healthy life, with healthy relationships. My sisters always got angry if I did not show for family get togethers, especially since the two of them did not get along. The wanted me there, because the discomfort between them was lessened, as I got along with both of them, for the most part. It took me a long time to feel it was ok to do what made ME happy.
Great post chicory. That is exactly what's going on, although I don't get along with my sisters. It is a judgement on the family system. They get insulted and retaliate instead of respecting my position. Yep, they still want me to play the role they have designed for me. I have no interest in doing that, never did. It just feels like I'm going to have to hit them upside the head with something to make them realize this.