Thread: coming back
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by gracette View Post
Thanks all. If anyone has advice on working up the guts to go to a first AA meeting, I'd love to hear it!
It is a big deal, going to your first meeting. I was too afraid and would never have got there on my own. Instead I called the AA phone line and they sent someone to see me. We talked about their experience with alcohol, and my experience and I became comfortable that he knew what he was talking about. He outlined AAs solution and explained how the meetings work. He told me I didn't have to say anything if I didn't want to, ( it was some weeks before I actually spoke in a meeting) and generally won my confidence.

Then he took me to a meeting that night. He looked after me, introduced me to a few people and let the chairman know I did not want to speak.

I will always be grateful to that man. Not only did he give me hope, but he made it possible for me to get into AA and develop this wonderful new way of life. He looked after me for the next few days until I could find my own way around.

Sometimes going to a meeting cold can be a bit of a lottery. You never know what kind of meeting you might strike, and some are a bit off the wall. I always recommend talking to someone first and at least getting some advice on which meeting would be best to start with.