Thread: coming back
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stoogy
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by gracette View Post
Hi all,

I was on here a few months back, when I had my first real experience with admitting to myself that I might have a problem with alcohol. I found so much support and was able to stop drinking for about 3 weeks, but then fell victim to the "I can just drink once a month" or whatever rationalizing way of thinking. I think part of me always knew that was BS, because even though I told myself it was a good plan, I was ashamed to come here and post.

Long story short, I ended up on a bit of a bender, and the withdrawal symptoms kept getting worse. At the end of last week I was experiencing some shaking and cravings and severe anxiety attacks until I would drink again. That was scary and another wake up call. I'd been severely depressed while I'd been drinking too, almost suicidal.

I've been sober 2.5 days now, and saw a therapist today for the first time in years. She encouraged me to go to a meeting and gave me a list of some to try. I hope I can work up the guts to do that this week, but I'm not sure, to be honest. I guess at least I know now that staying sober will be more difficult than I thought it would be in the rush of excitement about changing my life that characterized my first attempt. I'm not excited about this battle but I know it's one I need to fight.

I hope anyone reading this is doing well, or hanging in there. I'm so glad you're all here and that this place exists.
Hi and welcome back, really good to have you here.