View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LadyinBC
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
He needs to suck it up and apologize. Support is fantastic and much needed in maintaining sobriety, but you (in general) are not supposed to be a raging alcoholic who destroys your family. "Just quitting" is not good enough in my opinion, at least based on what seemed to be a rocky past in your situation (and mine)

I would tell him how you feel. The selfishness is still there, and you deserve to have your feelings heard/tended to.
I 100% agree with this. Let's face it, we do horrible things and leave behind a tragic mess sometimes. And when we are recovering it really does seem like it is all about us. We do tend to forget the mess we left behind us. Not only do we have to recover, but so do the family members. They do not come out of this without some kind of damage.

I have apologized to my daughter and we have discussed my drinking many times. Of course, I would rather just forget about it and move on, but that just isn't going to work.

I do not think it is unrealistic of you to expect him to say I'm sorry. Your feelings are just as important as his.