Thread: Sober time
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
azbluesgal

Originally Posted by ontherightpath View Post
Hey all, I just wanted to say that when I sit in face to face meetings, from time to time, I find myself happy to know people with long term sobriety, and I get resentful all at the same time. How can they have made it so long and I am over here like the queen of 1 day relapses..... Some of the people I know real well are nothing more than dry drunks, yet are the most long winded at meetings.... (And no this isn't about inventory at all!!!) with that said.....
It doesn't matter if you have 2 days, 23 months, 35 years, we are all the same distance from a drink. The world record for sobriety is 24 hours at a time. So dont beat yourself up because you slipped by drinking, get back on the horse. Never stop working on that recovery!!!!!!
Meetings are just a place to get sober. Just because someone has been sober for decades does not mean they have become mentally healthy. There are "those who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders MANY recover IF they have the capacity to be honest". Notice the MANY there - does not mean ALL "recover". Yeah, spiritual progress....being sober is relatively easy compared to finding spirituality amid a scattering of sociopaths and psychopaths. Those warm comforting rooms can hide people who are exactly the same as when they were drinking. The just don't drink anymore, but have exactly the same personality problems they did 20 years ago when they picked up the first chip. Not drinking is the easy part. Changing that part of YOU that made you drink is another ball game.