View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
riotboy

Originally Posted by AlliH View Post
Last night I drank. I got terribly drunk and cried while I apologized to people for being so drunk. I fell in some bushes and had a security guard offer to get me a wheel chair. I'm mortified. I was doing so well until this.

I need some advice on how to talk to my fiancé about my problem. I've tried to whole "I need your support/help", but he doesn't get it. How do I explain my problem to him? I'm not even sure what I specifically need help with and how to explain that to him. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi Alli,

I'm sorry to hear you had a setback, but I've been through that a few times and I just had to dust myself off and keep trying. Best to not be ashamed.

I don't always quite get the support and understanding I need from "normies." It's important for them to be supportive (in general) but they don't always "understand" things like this, or know what to do.

And it can suck for everyone involved when they wish they knew what to say or do, but don't.

So for some of the people closest to me I'm just glad that they love me and believe in me, but I really do need contact with other people in recovery when it comes to some of the, uh, darker aspects of what it's been like. If you're not sure how to handle something, then do exactly what you're doing and ask for a balanced perspective on what to say to someone!