View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
peaceofpi

Do you need or have a work permit in your country in order to work in service or other positions to be able to pay your bills and start paying back what you owe?

It helped in my divorce to tally up my finances, debts, and income, and to assume AXH was never going to pay me a dime, ever. Then job number one (besides taking care of DS) was to pay debts, cut expenses, and make money. Kind of like a triathlon of work, work, work. Not relying on anyone else (other than God) gives me freedom from frustration when AXH refuses to reimburse thousands in medical bills, etc. It was highly predictable that an NPD alcoholic wouldn't pay for his son's care.

I have a friend who divorced a wealthy world-class NPD. A decade after their divorce they were still locked in an expensive battle on a business dispute. It was 10 years of frustration and drama and anxiety as he hid assets and income. It drained her time, mental energy, and finances. Like a codie looking for bottles, she'd look for the money he was hiding. I asked her: Wouldn't you be happier and better off if you ended this and settled - for whatever - and walked away? You'll always be unhappy if you expect justice. He will always hide stuff from you and have stuff that is rightfully yours. Is your time and mental energy of dealing with this NPD worth whatever you expect to get?

Gavin de Becker's excellent book, Gift of Fear, distinguishes between "justice" and "safety" (and I extrapolate that also to include "our own mental health"). He gives the example of a man stealing your purse and running zig zag through traffic. Safety requires that you give up the chase: "It is unfair that he gets away unpunished, but it is more important that you come away unhurt." The Upper Hand: What About a Women’s Shelter or Safe House?

PS - good luck on the Ironman.