View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Charmed3

Buzzle, I too am sorry for what brings you here.

I think many of us, including me have told them the no my drinking and no more lying or we are done! I said it many times and yet it isn't what I really wanted, I wanted him to quit drinking and lying.

But those two go hand in hand and alcoholics have no concern as to what you want or need in the relationship for it to remain intact.

It took me a very long time to realize that he would promise no more when things got really bad and I would grab on to whatever he told me, hang on for dear life because I so wanted to believe that I meant enough to him that this time - he really meant it. But in the end, he is an alcoholic, his promises were no good and he can not be trusted.

My threats of leaving at first would scare him and then they became just that - threats because he knew the codie in me did not want to leave. I left him 3 times, the last one for good and yet even when I left the last time, he still thought he could charm me in to coming back by going to yet another rehab and promising me and God he was done and his priorities were sobriety and then me.

When he realized this last time I meant it, he went to rehab and tried that route with promises again. The day he got out, he shed a few tears and begged me to return. I was hopeful that he finally hit bottom but when I said I need my space and I need you to PROVE yourself through your actions, I need to see at least one year of you working a program and sobriety - it took him all of 10 days to return to his former self.

If you don't really want him to leave then don't try to use that as a means to get him to stop. If it works it will only be temporary and you will be the one that is hurt in the end.