View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
McKall

My best friend;(

Heroin Addiction took him. What is the likelihood of it happening forever and not being able to prevent relapse? Here's a bit of our story. .

I fell in love with my beautiful best friend. We were officially dating for about half a year, him and everything so happy and beautiful. which makes everything so much more difficult…. When he told me what was really going on for the past couple months. I knew he had experience with things like drinking/ smoking before, and that he struggles with anxiety and depression. The using heroin aspect though, was when my own heart broke. His family member that he was close with has struggled for YEARS and my friend tried it in efforts to escape. When he finally realized that this is not the life he wants to provide the world with ( as soon as he learned he was addicted ) he immediately tried to stop his use.

The first few tries were 2 weeks, relapse. 3 weeks, relapse. 1 month, relapse. Ever since he was addicted his life turned into only helping himself. He kept a lot of details from me for a while, but he soon learned that it's scary to tell me, but it's needed. It was super hard for him to tell me of the news. It has been super hard for him for so long. We have always loved eachother so much, but we have always taken into account that one of us is an addict. We can't count on the unknown. That's been one of the hardest things for me; as I have been through my own hell now, that love existed so happy and I swear in less than a moment everything can change. We let loose on detachment during his clean 70 days. (Longest so far) He has always been super strong. He found the damn drug in his pocket, he flushed it. (I watched). His "dealer" or whatever texted him, he didn't text back. But one day, his twin brother was on his relapse ( they got clean together) and to help his twin get off the street he tried to find him a place to stay. Twin was using for a week next to my friend, my friend didn't want to do it. He gave in at the end of the week. I could sense he was in relapse mode the whole week, I was worried that week evEry second. But I knew I couldn't do anything. He always just told me everything was gonna be alright and he spent a lot of time with me because I could not handle the events and emotions of that week. All we could do really was hold on and hold eachother. He admitted to using the day after to me. He said, " When I was high it wasn't even worth it. It just made me sad. It didn't make me feel good at all." It took him a day to tell me because when we were happy again, we talked about relapse never happening ever again. We had a plan to move in together and we got our safe to save cash. When the subject came up during happy clean time I kind of threatened him with my mental health saying how I could kill my self if we had to go through it again. He always told me that the hardest part is over. He told me the next day after his relapse. (One use) He has struggled with hating him self more after that relapse, but I am his friend / almost lover supporting him through all. Going to meetings with him, etc. We love eachother so much : )
Soon after, he moved out of his sober house around where I live and down to the south of Utah ( we aren't mormon ) to get away from all triggers and to kind of start fresh. He has been doing awesome there. Job, school again, all those meetings.working out, biking everywhere, concerts, getting back into his passion. He actually feels passion for what he loves most, music, once again. I think that's a real sign of good. I can sense it. He's Really doing what he owes himself.
My question is….. Even though every case of addiciton is different in ways, what is the likliness of another relapse to happen to someone that really doesn't want to do the drug? Is constant relapse imminent? Share stories. Give advice. I want to gain more thoughts upon .. for MY life, if it's possible to have a life with my best friend. Does relapse stop? How long typically is recovery for stories that this relates to? I could ask him. I just want outside info also!
We don't support erasing pain with substance of any kind like this at all or even doing that with having a cigarette anymore.
My best friend is beautiful and so talented, I still find ways to be in love with him. He's so driven to get this **** out of the way. I don't want to hurt by watching a wonderful man's life sent to hell. Obviously. Extra forum support is appreciated.