View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

The CDC collects statistics on suicide in the States.

http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventio...ataSheet-a.pdf

More to the point, for me, is pretty much what Dee posted. It's a sad reality that most people who commit suicide either cannot or will not reach out in advance, even when they know they are going to take action. I was one of those people. The only thing that got my attention was the potential eternal release from pain and suffering. It wasn't about any particular person or thing...just the nonstop misery that I brought upon myself with my 'round-the-clock drinking, and my inability to stop. Though I did consider the impact on those I loved, it no longer mattered. I also believed that my suicide would make perfect sense to them, and that they'd probably agree that I'd taken myself to a better place.

See how distorted our thinking can be when we're in that very dark place?

Typically, alcohol, drugs, and/or depression are present in suicide attempts. I hit the trifecta when I made my attempt. Woke up two days later with a lacerated tongue...I'd seized while I was sleeping, and bit deeply into both sides of my tongue. Didn't go to the ER. I swished vodka around in my mouth to disinfect the wounds and numb the pain. All this after spending years talking other people down from the ledge.

Now, every day is a bonus for me. I'm very happy that I didn't succeed, especially for my family and loved ones. What a horrible legacy to leave behind. I don't believe the heartbreak of such an event can ever be fully repaired, only re-experienced with varying degrees of intensity, and not without a great deal of support.