Notices

Hasn't everyone thought about suicide?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hasn't everyone thought about suicide?

I was just watching something on TV about someone considering suicide and everyone was astonished and upset and scared. My question is why were they were so surprised, hasn't everyone thought about suicide?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think so.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would guess that many people have entertained the thought.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

I think it depends on each individual. Some people have lived fairly happy lives with few disappointments so the thought has never crossed their mind.

In my case, the thought has crossed my mind but I never wanted to give up like that, plus I always said that I needed to stick around to annoy the people that hated me!

I think it shocks people because it is the end of life. There is no digging out of that hole, no coming back. The shock is almost like a sudden overwhelming sense of caring. People want to help those that are hurting, sometimes they just don't know how.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think everybodys thought of suicide, no - but I think a lot of people get overwhelmed at points in their lives and think about things they normally would not.

I know I have 20, 25 years ago - and I suspect that there will be quite a number of others here who have too.

The important thing is to take these thoughts seriously.
Don't brush them aside or hope they'll get better, and don't act on them.

To anyone reading who may feel like this: Reach out - find help. Noone needs to be alone in this.

I often post this link - there's some amazing reading in here and crisis line numbers etc.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

Things can and do get better. I'm proof of that

D
Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well there is suicide fantasies..then there is planning and getting close to it.

I have had times in the past in a horrible 2 year depression that was worse then anything i've experienced in my life. I was pretty close a couple times. planned it out..made arrangements. its crazy to think about. It was painfull just to get out of my bed.

No.. I think many people never think of suicide even in a fantasy..probably most people don't

things get better from depression...they did for me
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thought about it, yes.

Actually seriously considering doing it, no.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
I was just watching something on TV about someone considering suicide and everyone was astonished and upset and scared. My question is why were they were so surprised, hasn't everyone thought about suicide?
I was in a safe space recently at my university and this question came up--who has ever contemplated suicide? I was shocked that only about half of the 10 people present said yes. (I would have thought the same as you.). I think it's also very culture-bound--in some cultural groups it's very normal and in others it's so taboo people really don't let themselves think about it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

The CDC collects statistics on suicide in the States.

http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventio...ataSheet-a.pdf

More to the point, for me, is pretty much what Dee posted. It's a sad reality that most people who commit suicide either cannot or will not reach out in advance, even when they know they are going to take action. I was one of those people. The only thing that got my attention was the potential eternal release from pain and suffering. It wasn't about any particular person or thing...just the nonstop misery that I brought upon myself with my 'round-the-clock drinking, and my inability to stop. Though I did consider the impact on those I loved, it no longer mattered. I also believed that my suicide would make perfect sense to them, and that they'd probably agree that I'd taken myself to a better place.

See how distorted our thinking can be when we're in that very dark place?

Typically, alcohol, drugs, and/or depression are present in suicide attempts. I hit the trifecta when I made my attempt. Woke up two days later with a lacerated tongue...I'd seized while I was sleeping, and bit deeply into both sides of my tongue. Didn't go to the ER. I swished vodka around in my mouth to disinfect the wounds and numb the pain. All this after spending years talking other people down from the ledge.

Now, every day is a bonus for me. I'm very happy that I didn't succeed, especially for my family and loved ones. What a horrible legacy to leave behind. I don't believe the heartbreak of such an event can ever be fully repaired, only re-experienced with varying degrees of intensity, and not without a great deal of support.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
I think questioning ones existence is natural, but if don't think I have ever contemplated suicide at even my lowest point. I think some people manifest depression in less productive ways to be honest.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

I feel it important to add that there is nothing at all romantic about contemplating suicide, and nothing inevitable about committing the ultimate sacrifice.

I entered detox shortly after my attempt. My cat, Petey, died just a couple of days later while under the tender loving care of my sister. His heart and mine were both broken by the death of his litter mate, Sophie, about eight months earlier. My sister told me that he stuck around long enough for me to get sober.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

there is nothing romantic about it but i also don't see it as a character flaw. If you haven't been there it's hard to explain. There are different levels of depression and despair. When you are in that state you are not thinking clearly
Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just long enough to no I could never do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No. There has been too much suicide too close to my family. I would never do that to them.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No not really. Despite my struggles I know life itself is genuinely beautiful.

I consider myself lucky to be alive and in good health . I have so many blessings that I selfishly ignored for way to long. Every time I find myself feeling down or sorry for myself or upset at some obscure thing (finances etc) I look at my wife and two sons. The trees outside, an awesome song I find and blast at full volume for no reason, enjoying just MOMENTS.

Sounds corny lol
Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Every single untreated active alcoholic is committing suicide, consciously or not. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never seriously considered it. That is, even during my worst periods I still wasn't ready to check out; I still had enough hope to keep me going.

But I understand how some can get to that point. Emotional pain can be torturous. Still I don't see suicide as the answer.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've had impulsive thoughts of it - walking down the street thinking I could just walk in front of the next bus - I always thought most people had these fleeting thoughts in extreme times. I think sometimes maybe it's an extreme running away thing. If you have the tendency to run away from problems then maybe this is the ultimate get out clause
Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

And my ultimate description of alcoholism is slow daily suicide. It's killing yourself slowly and daily u creep closer to the end.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

the instinct to survive is so strong...the pain most people who commit this act are in must be unfathomable