View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
venuscat

I have an awesome story from my childhood about a tiger snake. Seeing it would have been my mum's birthday in 2 days, I am going to share this in her honour.

We had a holiday house (well I half grew up there) in a place called Phillip Island. An amazing blend of country and beach. Koalas in our trees, cows in the paddock across the road, kookaburras and yes, loads of snakes.

My dad used to go back to work in Melbourne and leave us all with mum on weekdays in summer. Well I was 4, older sister 8, and little sister still a bubs. The house was still being finished, and the walls weren't totally sealed. We were watching TV, and my older sister wanted to turn up the volume. Mum said no, it would wake up little sis, just move closer she said. So we did. And as soon as those chairs were moved, something on the floor in front of us suddenly presented itself. It was a HUGE tiger snake. (Deadly).

My older sister screamed, my mum threw the baby in her arms, told us to get out of the house and go get Mr Tetley. (neighbour) I ran across the yard screaming "Mr Tetley, Mr Tetley" and he ran out of his house. No questions, he knew something was really wrong.

As I chased him back into our house, we saw mum, with a broom (handle) smashing the crapolla out of that snake. Mr Tetley moved her aside, and picked up one very dead snake and took it outside. Mum almost fainted at that point. Especially when he told her it was a very poisonous snake. That little 5 foot 1 inch lady was a very big hero that day.

Mothers will do anything to save their kids huh?

RIP mum; I miss you. ♥

V xx