View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thotful

Not being understood

My estranged sibling once argued that "you are weaving an alternate life where you are the innocent victim of an abusive alcoholic family". I literally had a giant question mark over my head based on his remark.

I never once made the statement that I'm innocent. That I'm a victim. I certainly never stated that my family is abusive (why include everyone all in one lump as opposed to singular behaviors from two people out of 30?). I would not characterize my family as "alcoholic". My father's an alcoholic, but not my entire family.

How do you handle situations where your loved ones don't truly understand, don't truly see you as you are, are completely off-base, talk about the feelings you have - that you actually don't, and try to speak to your feelings, thoughts, ideas and none of it is true? It's all just their perception of my feelings, and not my real feelings?

Do we just have to accept that they have these absolute myths, mis-truths, and made-up stories about who we are, what we're about, etc?

Am I getting caught-up with something that was just a bunch of quacking? (I suspect this particular brother is suffering from alcohol abuse)