Thread: Fear
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2002, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
piggle
Paused

Agos

It is so much easier to look into a situation and say "I would NEVER put up with that". I have spent most of my adult life as the strong one. The one who drove 3 hrs at 2 am to pick up a friend after her husband hit her and took her in. I urged her to press charges and even drove her to the police station, but she was not ready. I never understood that....all of my friends knew I took no sh*t from anyone and I had little sympathy for someone who would choose to stay in a bad situation....be it abuse or drugs or cheating. That was a lifetime ago.

As women, we always like to think we would be stronger and make better choices in those sitautions. They say if you are arrested and go to a jury trial (as a woman) that you DO NOT want women on your jury because they all put themselves in your place and THINK they would have reacted better/differently and have difficulty empathizing with the accused. Interesting, isn't it?

I found myself in a sitaution I knew I would never stay in...and funny thing, I stayed. It's all subjective....and irrelevant. You cannot only support those who choose as you think you would....You have to support what "is". Reality isn't scripted and it isn't always the path you intended. Sometimes those most worthy of our support and love are those who are struggling, no matter how they got there.

~piggle~