Thread: The First Step
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ruby2

My husband is an alcoholic and addict in recovery. He is volunteering at the local Salvation Army. It doesn't matter what he is trained to do. He just goes where people need him. And social service agencies almost always need people who are ready, willing and able. He called bingo numbers one day. Helped unload the food pantry truck another. Volunteer work can be anything at all. Mow the neighbors grass. Read to little kids at a school or to the blind - my mother did that for a while. Pet and walk the animals at a local animal shelter. Pick up litter along the road. Coach a little league team. When you get out there and do that stuff you start to realize that your problems aren't as bad as someone else's problems. Doing nothing but drink and ponder the inequities of life is what is boring. I was boring when I drank. I had to manufacture drama to justify my drinking and to feel something, anything. Drinking alone is like standing at the side of a busy road watching all the cars pass you by and wondering what fun and exciting places all those people are going to do and see, and getting mad that you aren't going anywhere, instead of simply getting in your car and seeing where the road is going.