Old 04-25-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
vf1891

Moderate Drinker or Functional Alcoholic?

I never thought I had a problem with drinking even though I have drank almost every day since I was a young man. I will be 56 at the end of the month. From 18 to 40 I also smoked pot every day. I gotmarried at 37 and was able to hide the pot for awhile. My wife caught me smoking at home and said it was her or the weed. I missed. the weedfor awhile but have not touched it since.

My wife drank a little so moderate drinking was alright with her. For the last couple of years my wife started complaining that I was drinking too much. I didn't see it that way. My wife wanted me to drink less And skip some days. I didn't like that idea. Drinking was my reward after a hard days work. I didn't drink excessively anyway. She says my personality changed for the worse when I had been drinking.

My habit had been to start the evening with one Lagunitas Maximus, a 10.5% alcohol craft beer. Then I would drink 4 to 6 six ounce glasses of red wine. I never felt intoxicated. I currently weigh 258 lbs and stand 5 ' 10". I think my ideal weight would be about 175.

I polished off a whole bottle of wine on Sunday along with one Maximus. My wife called me on Monday and told me to do what I had to do and she would do what she had to do. I called her back later and told her I would not drink anything until the end of the month.

I felt a little strange on Tuesday, and progressively clearer Wednesday and Thursday. I am feeling good today. I have told my wife it is my intention to not drink again. She is being very supportive.

I am finding it pretty easy to not take that first drink in the evening. I think my biggest problem would be to not take the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th drinks.

I hope that I can continue to abstain. I hope that I can lose some weight also.