Old 04-23-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mango blast

Emmy,

Wishing you the very best. The scared lost feelings start going away with our own recovery. You sound very strong for being able to listen to what your instincts have been telling you and with getting a separation in order to take care of yourself!

Alcoholism is a chronic, progressive disease that requires active recovery. Going to a meeting is a start. Only he can decide if he's willing to make a full commitment to his recovery. That is possible, but isn't easy.

My husband and I have come to know quite a few men who've completely changed their job and lifestyle to support their sobriety. How they were living was very high risk for relapse and they made the decision their sobriety was more important to them than anything else. That's not to say it's impossible, but definitely higher risk to stay in an environment that triggers them or encourages drinking or drugging.

Something my husband's rehab counselor told me: "Birds fly, fish swim and alcoholics drink. That is their normal state." To not drink takes monumental effort and commitment. For some, it's relearning everything they know.

Having time to work your own separate programs sounds like a really good idea. I believe you are amazingly astute with seeing how things will be in two months if you stay now.