Thread: AA on Friday
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marjoram

Laura - do yourself a huge favor and walk through the doors. You'll feel relief in just doing that (granted you may still feel nervous, I know I did). I agree with everyone here that has the experience of going to AA, that it's definitely worth trying. But, go with an open mind and heart. You will not only be helping yourself but helping others, just as you do here by posting. It's a win-win.

I left my first meeting this past Saturday, and it took me three years to finally realize it was my answer. I'm far from experienced with compared to many here, but the first meeting jitters is really fresh in my mind.

LadyinBC mentioned the variety of people - that is what I really enjoyed. Young, old, men, women, poor, well-off, etc. But, in there those adjectives don't exist, we are all alcoholics and needing each other's support. The thing I found is they gave me a sense of calm. Some are more "stern" when they talk, but they may be stern when they talk about what they had for dinner. Some giggle like kids when they tell their stories. Some speak slowly, some too fast. But, they all have a story, like you, like me, like everyone here. And it feels good to finally be able to talk openly about it to others that can relate, understand, and ground us so that we can continue our steps in this journey.

Just don't forget to take us all with you in your heart. When you think you can't do it, remember - you can. We are all behind you!

Love to you!