Notices

AA on Friday

Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA on Friday

Tried going there once before, but never went in. Now I am going to attend. Feels a little scary but also like an opportunity, maybe it will help. Maybe it is the solution. Maybe I will meet nice friendly understanding people.
And in a week I have my first councelling session.
Really need change as am back on Day one today.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Laura567 View Post

maybe it will help
Maybe it is the solution
Maybe I will meet nice friendly understanding people
I know many in the AA Program
who have found the above to be true in their lives

good luck to you

MM
Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

You will meet lots of nice, interesting, friendly people. And you will realize that you are not alone and don't have to do this alone. They will "get" you.

Congrats on day 1 and being open to change.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, keep trying.

For me I had to change. It was pretty obvious by time I got to AA that something had to change because what I was doing was not working.

I kept an open mind and this time I listened to what they had to say. Keep us updated and let us know how it went.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you on your positive thinking. Boy can I think of a lot more scary legitimate things, like continued drinking and loss of everything that can easily entail.

BE WELL
Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was petrified!!! Everyone was so great and it went away almost immediately. People are truly glad you are there!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto. Those meeting rooms are the one hour a day I have a refuge. Where things feel normal, if that makes any sense. No judgments, just support. What I realize is that no matter how bad I think things are for me, it's nothing new.

Be well.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Laura - do yourself a huge favor and walk through the doors. You'll feel relief in just doing that (granted you may still feel nervous, I know I did). I agree with everyone here that has the experience of going to AA, that it's definitely worth trying. But, go with an open mind and heart. You will not only be helping yourself but helping others, just as you do here by posting. It's a win-win.

I left my first meeting this past Saturday, and it took me three years to finally realize it was my answer. I'm far from experienced with compared to many here, but the first meeting jitters is really fresh in my mind.

LadyinBC mentioned the variety of people - that is what I really enjoyed. Young, old, men, women, poor, well-off, etc. But, in there those adjectives don't exist, we are all alcoholics and needing each other's support. The thing I found is they gave me a sense of calm. Some are more "stern" when they talk, but they may be stern when they talk about what they had for dinner. Some giggle like kids when they tell their stories. Some speak slowly, some too fast. But, they all have a story, like you, like me, like everyone here. And it feels good to finally be able to talk openly about it to others that can relate, understand, and ground us so that we can continue our steps in this journey.

Just don't forget to take us all with you in your heart. When you think you can't do it, remember - you can. We are all behind you!

Love to you!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a good move Laura
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee74, finally I am doing something different like you always suggest :-)
I almost have a plan.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Good luck, there is some wonderful people in AA u can meet. they all are in the same boat.

Good luck on ur plan