View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by NotTheMama View Post
I chose to stay. My AH was not a mean or violent drunk. He was well liked by just about everyone. But, it was a long, lonely, painful road to his death just last week. For the past couple of years he just sat in his truck in the yard and drank. No social life, no sex life, no family life... in and out of the hospital, partially due to an accident not involving alcohol that left him with one leg. Then since about February, he started going down hill fast. Confusion got worse. He became incontinent and had diarrhea all the time. Urinated all over the house because he couldn't get to the bathroom in time. But, he was not mean or hateful. He apologized repeatedly for causing so much trouble. Always told anyone who listened what a "good woman" he had! He told me he appreciated everything I did for him.
Then on March 22 he decided to sober up. The cold turkey detox sent his body into shock! Then, 3 weeks and 1 day later his organs had failed and AH was just gone!
I don't regret staying. He died with as much dignity as an alcoholic possibly could. But, I honestly cannot recommend staying to anyone.
Think long and hard about the consequences of staying! Only you can ultimately decide if it is worth staying!
I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace and healing.