View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I've been on most of the well known antidepressants on and off since I was 18. That's about 30 years. I've experienced severe clinical depression, crippling anxiety, addictions, and a suicide attempt. My mental health has always been somewhat precarious, even for the long period I abstained from alcohol and drugs (10 years), and even during drug and behavioral treatments. I always felt broken, never quite right in terms of mental health. I had seriously horrible withdrawals trying to get off some of the antidepressants, most specifically Effexor and Lexapro. I was seriously dope sick and not able to function without a slow, months-long taper every time. This last 7 years I have been alcohol and drug free, and that includes antidepressants. I have experienced some bouts of depression, but have dealt with them without medication, and addressed them with intensive one/one therapy, exercise, a drastic change in diet, and meditation and study of Buddhism. I have never felt more like myself than I have these last 7 years.

The fact that you are newly sober and are also going through divorce should not be minimized. It is actually appropriate to have feelings of intense grief in light of a divorce. It's a painful and traumatic loss in my experience. Anyway, best to you whatever you choose and be proud of yourself for continuing to look for answers along your journey. Xo