View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
readerbaby71

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I don't see it that way at all. To me it seems more like putting a piece of tape over a hole, as opposed to fixing the hole. Take the tape away, and the hole is still there. Antibiotics work a lot differently than antidepressants also. If there were antidepressants that could wipe out depression in 7 days, then I agree one would have to be a fool to not take them. Take antibiotics for a year straight and trust me that you'll wind up with some other problems. Or on additional medication.

Something else I think is REALLY important for anyone, at least in the US, that is considering medication. Think it through thoroughly before consulting a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is NOT a person to make this initial decision with as they absolutely will prescribe medication. That's been my experience, and the experience of anyone I know who's walked through their doors, in my area at least. This is not a doctor knows best situation. They might know what's best regarding what MIGHT be best to prescribe, but will indeed prescribe medication. It's what they do, IME.
I disagree. Clinical depression and mental illness are real, and sometimes need to be treated with medication in addition to lifestyle changes and therapy. Seeing a psychiatrist and taking meds saved my life. I also have to work my ass off to stay mentally healthy regardless of the medication. They are not a panacea, but are useful for some.