Old 04-17-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
thotful

I suppose for me it would be the intent of sharing the consequences of drinking? Step #5 asks us to do that, but not for the purpose of a war story (for jokes, for humor, or for clout, admiration, etc), it is to be honest.

I can't remember where I read it, but I do appreciate the statement that "we do not wish to dwell on the past nor shut the door on it".

I don't want to sit and remember everything I've done constantly to sit in the pity-pot, or hate myself, or add it as a badge of honor either (I think competition of this sort would put me off track). However, I do think the reminder serves to justify my reasons to stay sober. I put my wife at great risk one night because she had to walk home (several miles) as I stumbled home myself. It is a feeling of sadness that I have for that moment. Instead of honoring it, or using it to hammer my ego to feeling lower than the lowest low, I use it as a sobering reminder that I am powerless to the 1st drink and my loved ones aren't safe when I choose to take the 1st drink. Alcohol is not something I can take lightly. It was an emotional bottom for me.

As I said, I don't want to use my pain as something to compete with others for - it's my personal pain used for waking me up to my disease (like me finally feeling my hand is burning on the stove and I strive to MOVE my hand)

Thanks for the reminders to stay on track Dee74.