Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Whats the most embarrasing thing you've ever done whilst really drunk

Notices

Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I crashed my car into a farmers field at about 2.30 am in the morning while drunk. I was the only person involved in the crash and it was a fairly quiet country road so nobody seen it happen. I quickly got the hell out of there before the Police turned up and breathalyzed me.

I made my way up to my sisters house which was about 40 miles away to avoid the Police. I got there at about 10am and told her what happened, she reluctantly told me I could stay in her house overnight and face the music the next day.

Due to my alcoholism I began drinking vodka and beer in her house that night and ended up passing out on the bed she provided for me. I woke up in the morning and was shocked to find I had pissed the bed. I must have been so drunk that although I needed to go to the bathroom, i did not wake up. It was stinking and the mattress was ruined

Thats gratitude for you eh?. Very embarrassing and humiliating. I sometimes remember those horrendous 24 hours when I get the urge to drink, it helps me to say no to my urge.

This story is one of many to be honest.

Anyone else care to share their most embarrassing moment while drunk?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I did a lot of embarrassing/dumb/illegal/immoral things when I was drunk. I think most of us have. I prefer to share strategies on how to get/stay sober though vs. dwelling on things that have happened in the past. They happened and we can't undo them.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not telling you
Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

I prefer to focus on the good things I have done since getting sober.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
apo

too many stories myself
almost 15 years of drinking
Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

we all have our war stories, time to move on.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the dumbest thing i done,, was get another drink
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One embarrassing moment was when
I was about 19 maybe 20, don't really
remember, but, I went joy riding with
a car full of folks and was sitting in the
backseat drinking bourbon and coke on
an empty stomach when I asked to pull
over. They let me out and im pretty sure
I lost it, threw up, then asked to
bring me to my apt. somehwere's in
the neighborhood. Because I was so
out of it, I layed stretched out on the
ground in the middle of an empty field,
looking up a a ring of people
looking down on me trying to find out
where I actually lived.

I did manage to focus some and pointed
to the complex a few yrds away to my
apt. window. I was walked to my apt.
let in and put to bed....by whom, I don't
remember.

Thinking back on that episode, it was
embarrassing to me. Of course, if I did
that in todays time, something more
tragic could happen.

Thank God im sober in recovery and
grateful to share my experience here
with others struggling with addiction
themselves.

Believe me, there is hope for many
who are finding a solution and a
purpose to help not drink each day
at a time.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Though probably a bit light hearted in intent, this subject is at the heart of why many alcoholics are unable to recover.

The most unpleasant thought I had in early AA was that I would have to face this stuff and discuss it with another human being. I was understandably reluctant, after all I had spent my whole life avoiding, minimizing and trying to hide it.

The shame set me apart from other AAs. I thought I was the worst case ever to come to AA and if thay found out what I had done, they would throw me out. It's a very lonely place to be.

The Big Book puts it thus:

" More than most people, the alcoholic leads a double life. He is very much the actor. To the outer world he presents his stage character. This is the one he likes his fellows to see. He wants to enjoy a certain reputation, but knows in his heart he doesn't deserve it.

The inconsistency is made worse by the things he does on his sprees. Coming to his senses, he is revolted at certain episodes he vaguely remembers. These memories are a nightmare. He trembles to think someone might have observed him. As fast as he can, he pushes these memories far inside himself. He hopes they will never see the light of day. He is under constant fear and tension - that makes for more drinking.

That was me.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not proud to repeat what I did, actually quite embarassed.......Glad to be sober now....
Old 04-11-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't see the benefit of these threads, sorry.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Probably after being put to bed at a party, walking down the stairs, not realising I was in the nuddy. In a sober state, I would rather die to be quite frank. xxx
Old 04-11-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

BTW. That was in no way meant to be amusing. It was absolutely dreadful and one of the few things (I hate guilt and self berating as a rule) that totally makes me feel sick. xxxxx
Old 04-11-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank so much I was beyond even being embarrassed anymore. If I felt it, I drank it way right quick.

I have put the past behind me but some of the regrets I still have are not about embarrassing drunken behavior but of the friends and family I have hurt along the way.

Living amends is were my focus is today.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If embarrassing yourself is the worst thing so far, good thing to quit while you are ahead.

There are much worse things that can happen from drinking, like hurting people, and i don't mean feelings.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this, Gottalife. It's exactly what I felt. I minimized too, to avoid the shame. Facing the stupid things I did has been very good for me. Having a forum where I can do that and not feel like a monster is very helpful, and one of the reasons I love SR. I have not been able to talk to *anyone* at all about any of this in real life. I don't know if I'll ever be able to...Embarrassing stuff I've done: blacked out at my 30th bday party and jumped around til I threw up, fell on the ground (you know, the drunk stumble) around work friends, called a friend I liked and told him all kinds of personal things I would never have said sober. The most embarrassing is that I'm sure there are things I can't remember and that weighs on my mind. I feel tears coming as I write this, but it's good. I need to face it so I can move on.

June

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Though probably a bit light hearted in intent, this subject is at the heart of why many alcoholics are unable to recover.

The most unpleasant thought I had in early AA was that I would have to face this stuff and discuss it with another human being. I was understandably reluctant, after all I had spent my whole life avoiding, minimizing and trying to hide it.

The shame set me apart from other AAs. I thought I was the worst case ever to come to AA and if thay found out what I had done, they would throw me out. It's a very lonely place to be.

The Big Book puts it thus:

" More than most people, the alcoholic leads a double life. He is very much the actor. To the outer world he presents his stage character. This is the one he likes his fellows to see. He wants to enjoy a certain reputation, but knows in his heart he doesn't deserve it.

The inconsistency is made worse by the things he does on his sprees. Coming to his senses, he is revolted at certain episodes he vaguely remembers. These memories are a nightmare. He trembles to think someone might have observed him. As fast as he can, he pushes these memories far inside himself. He hopes they will never see the light of day. He is under constant fear and tension - that makes for more drinking.

That was me.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

By the way, for those that say these are useless threads or it's time to move on, I find that offensive. If you don't find them useful that's fine, but please don't discourage others with your negative comments. I see a lot of threads that I don't find particularly useful to me but I would never be so disrespectful as to post that, in case others feel differently and are made to feel dumb for starting that thread or wanting to post to a thread that someone else is downing. A lot of us are still figuring out our sobriety and feel sensitive about these things, small as they may be.

June
Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Junegirl View Post
By the way, for those that say these are useless threads or it's time to move on, I find that offensive. If you don't find them useful that's fine, but please don't discourage others with your negative comments. I see a lot of threads that I don't find particularly useful to me but I would never be so disrespectful as to post that, in case others feel differently and are made to feel dumb for starting that thread or wanting to post to a thread that someone else is downing. A lot of us are still figuring out our sobriety and feel sensitive about these things, small as they may be.

June
Well said Junegirl, I agree with you. We all recover in different ways and we should respect each others posts.....
Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I could write a book. I side kicked a wall and put my leg in up to the knee and was too lit get it back out in any manner that might resemble coordinated. I think I sprained myself from ankle to hip in every direction possible then had a battle to the death getting by boot out (with my foot in it of course).

I don't see the problem with relating stories like this. Yes, the basic topic and end result aren't all that funny. But we all drank for a reason and some of the crap we did or situations we got into was funny back before it got serious and the humor was gone.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Most embarrassing thing I have ever done was continue to drink