View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JustAGirl1971

I do much of the same as others. First I acknowledge my feelings. If I'm not sure why I'm feeling them, I try to figure it out. Sometimes I let myself wallow for a short time. Then, I pick myself up and go on with my day. Reading recovery literature or blogs, my bible, or even just a good novel (escapism!) helps. An al-anon meeting, if it's available, or a call to an al-anon friend or sponsor helps. Exercise. If it's nice outside, I go somewhere outside. For the times when those things aren't working, I will listen to music, watch an old favorite movie, or call a friend. Writing a gratitude list helps. If I'm really tired, I take a nap. Or, treat myself to a comfort food.

Most of the time, some combination of those things will make me feel better. On the worst days, I just remind myself that tomorrow will probably be better and muddle my way through the day the best that I can doing some of the above things and then I go to bed early. Usually, the next day I do feel better. I will say that I've noticed a pattern since starting al-anon. The days I have the most difficult time are the days I don't attend al-anon. To avoid the really bad days, I attend frequently and regularly.

Hugs. I hope you feel better soon