Thread: Hard old people
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
jdooner

I am 40 so not old and not that young either. I have found that as we age we really just look for respect from younger generations. The problem is when we are young we think we know it all. Nothing can replace wisdom and wisdom can only be gained with time and experience.

During the telecom bubble I remember arguing with my professors in grad school about valuations. My professor stood his ground on the theory behind investing. For him it was the dividend discount model and cash flow analysis. Yet, I would see daily the valuations of Cisco, Broadcom, Applied Micro Circuits, JDSU, and Corning to name a few where people were placing undue weighting on comparable analysis (most bubbles operate this way). I thought I knew better. Well I lost my shirt, as did many astute investors but I learned a very important lesson. This lesson allowed me to make a fortune in the solar bubble.

Life hardens some of us. I find most older people want to be heard and respected. I have found great mentorship in people older than me when I am open and willing to listen to them.