Notices

Hard old people

Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard old people

In my work I meet a lot of old people that have this personality that they are very angry especially at the younger generation. They don't think they are angry though. They think a guy like me is way out of line just to breath air close to them. They think they shouldn't have to deal with my essence. they stereotyped me into something I don't even think even exists in great numbers but only in their minds. They demand complete respect. They also show no respect for me. its fine. I give them respect and try to show warmth.

I don't know if these people are better then me to have such a hard core life philosophy. They seem to have extreme standards which came from extreme hardships. They hold onto their anger. They hold onto their pride. They seem miserable though.. Its hard for me to believe that it's just been like that in the later years of their lives.

My nature has become to let go. I like peace. Sometimes being around these types makes me feel like I'm a lazy jerk. That I should be constantly be trying to take the bull by the horns. To them I symbolize everything that is wrong with society. They want me to answer back if they insult me..so they can really give me a piece of their mind. My father was like this. I don't understand it

maybe they are right. maybe I am a lazy jerk. maybe the world would go to shambles if it was filled by people like me. I'm done with entertaining thoughts of how horrible I am though...too old for that

just some random thoughts keeping me up tonihgt
Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You seem to hang around a lot of angry judgemental people Cabo.
I try and surround myself with positive folks where I can.

I've been bitter and angry and it's just a drain, really.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-14-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

have they come out and said what you have said they think or is that your perception of what they think?
honestly, are you lazy?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you work with older people in a care facility? Your post was vague.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've noticed that as I get older 63 I relate less and less with younger ones. works both ways. getting my mother to understand what I think to be right can be at times next to impossible
we keep trying to show respect
MM
Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

I've come across 'hard old people' and I usually feel sorry for them. The biggest thing I take away from encounters with angry older folks is that I plan to stay busy promoting a really good attitude in my life so I'll be one of those really happy (probably a bit ditzy!) old folks!

If I learn to take life on life's terms and see and be the good in the world I can't imagine I'll be any different when I'm old. Of course I also believe if you rage at the world your whole life how can you be anything but angry when you're old? Start young I say!!!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am 40 so not old and not that young either. I have found that as we age we really just look for respect from younger generations. The problem is when we are young we think we know it all. Nothing can replace wisdom and wisdom can only be gained with time and experience.

During the telecom bubble I remember arguing with my professors in grad school about valuations. My professor stood his ground on the theory behind investing. For him it was the dividend discount model and cash flow analysis. Yet, I would see daily the valuations of Cisco, Broadcom, Applied Micro Circuits, JDSU, and Corning to name a few where people were placing undue weighting on comparable analysis (most bubbles operate this way). I thought I knew better. Well I lost my shirt, as did many astute investors but I learned a very important lesson. This lesson allowed me to make a fortune in the solar bubble.

Life hardens some of us. I find most older people want to be heard and respected. I have found great mentorship in people older than me when I am open and willing to listen to them.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnston View Post
Do you work with older people in a care facility? Your post was vague.
yes i've worked in a rehab center which was like a nursing home. I work somewhere else now that has a large ratio of older people. i just rather not talk about what I do though.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Old saying:

When I was 20, I couldn't believe how stupid my father was.
When I was 30, I couldn't believe how much he had learned in the last 10 years.

I'm 57 now but I still feel like a kid. I don't need respect especially but what I think everyone should recognize is that with age comes wisdom. Sometimes older people who appear stubborn are. Sometimes they're not; they're just wise.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i respect my elders. The old have always been the hardest demographic for me though
Old 04-14-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I get old I am getting one of those motorised wheel chairs and setting off at speed and not stopping for anyone. Just saying...
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Haha.

I would think that they have a spiritual malady and I would pray for them. How sad to live like that, mad at young people. I suspect they are mad at everything.

Don't become one of them yourself, rise above it.

Like a giraffe.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nigey1 View Post
When I get old I am getting one of those motorised wheel chairs and setting off at speed and not stopping for anyone. Just saying...
when i get older?..I want one of those things now
Old 04-14-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
yes i've worked in a rehab center which was like a nursing home. I work somewhere else now that has a large ratio of older people. i just rather not talk about what I do though.
I would guess most are cranky because of physical maladies and loneliness.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

to be fair there are older people who are angels..and nothing phases them...maybe they see the light already.

food for thought
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Based on some of the posts here can you really wonder why some older folks are intolerant of younger ones?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ha ha ,you guys should have had to grow up with the authority mindset in the 1960'. Seriously though this is a problem that will never go away any more than poverty or disease. The baby boomers didn't create all the chaos and corruptness in the world. The vampires did. They are the only ones that could go back that many generations. To be fair, it has and always has been a two-sided problem. The best for the rational ones like you and I only need accept that for what it is and not let it drag us down. As we used to say -Keep the Faith" "Power to the people" and what ever other mantras we could come up with. Hope you all have a positive day!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Personally, I like their style. Some are tough old birds and we can learn alot from them.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
to be fair there are older people who are angels..and nothing phases them...maybe they see the light already.

food for thought
Some are, Some aren't. This can really describe a child, a teenager, a young adult, the middle aged or a senior. I get your point, some are just crabby. IMO - I always have felt something was missing from their life. Or they are scared of being taken advantage of. Just like me, substituting booze into that missing hole. But no longer! My wife - who works the front desk for a Family Physician gets many seniors. She says, some of the seniors are rude and some of them are nice. With the rude ones, she says she treats them especially nice. And they seem to change their de-meaner. The nice ones bring her candy bars, which I tribute to putting on some extra pounds.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would agree with Goose. I work in higher education and deal with people from all generations every day. There are crabby, narrow minded, stubborn people in all age groups and all demographics. The flip side is that there are kind, open minded, thoughtful people in all age and demographic groups too. Obviously you can't always avoid the bad ones, but you can try. And you can simply live and let live when you meet them.