View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
StraightAhead

The tricky thing about alcohol is that it makes you forget what you really want to do. It's like a demon that gets inside of you and makes you do things that you-the real you inside-don't want to do. So you decide to have "just one drink" and you really do mean just one. But when you have that first drink, the alcohol takes over and makes you take a second, third, fourth, etc. That's not what you wanted to do, but you did it anyway. So what I finally realized is that in order to prevent all that unwanted drinking, I just needed to decide to never take the first drink. And I really thought carefully about what I wanted my life to be like. I didn't want to wake up with a fat head. I didn't want to be in a haze. I didn't want to be bloated, splotchy faced, etc. And I realized that in order to achieve all of these things, I just needed to never take that first drink. And now I've made it two months without drinking. What a blessing it has been. It's so much easier to just realize you don't want to drink and to quit rather than trying to moderate. For me moderation just doesn't work (due to the demonic effects I mentioned above). It gets a lot easier as you go too.

Good luck to you Jakarta and See. I wish you both well. Flutter, you look great sober!