Thread: The AA Test
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

I thought that it was cool and supportive that LadyinBC filled out the survey so I did it too. I hope it will encourage you You are not alone and you can get sober.

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
No. This is my second time in recovery. The last time I decided to quit, I was sober over 5 years

Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?
I drank completely alone, nothing social about my drinking just drinking alone and feeling miserable with my phones turned off.

Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?
Yes, when I relapsed I switched to beer. My last time drinking hard liquor (rum) was March 19, 2001

Have you had to have a drink in the morning during the past year?
No, I have been sober over 14 months but along with being seriously suicidal, the last 3 weeks before I went back in recovery I started drinking in the morning when I was not working

Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
No

Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?
Not this past year but in 2001 I ended up vomiting blood in the ER. During the holidays seasons of 2012/13 I was so depressed I was planning my suicide. I also had physical problems such as vomiting to drink more and stomach problems. My immune system was affected too and I was sick all the time.

Do you ever try to get 'extra' drinks at a party because you do not get enough?
No and I would not drink or have only one at the party then rush home and slam them and get drunk alone. Toward the end, I started isolating and turning down parties and lunch invitations. I'd rather be drinking than with my friends

Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?
No denial either for me, I knew I was an alcoholic and in deep trouble

Have you missed days off work because of drinking?
Never

Do you have blackouts?
I think I did, many nights I did not remember going to my bed. I had pass out (as opposed to going to sleep) for sure. I love having a good night of real sleep these days

The last one you did post but I answered anyway.
Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink? It is much better nowadays but the messed up part is that I knew it and had completely forgotten how better a sober life was so instead of going right back to AA I dwelled into depression and thoughts of suicide. How crazy was that?