Notices

The AA Test

Old 04-08-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The AA Test

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
Yes. This is the longest I have ever, ever been without a drink (2 weeks, 3 slip-ups). I have tried so many times to stop for a week or two but only lasted a maximum of four days. At four days the craving is too intense. Panic sets in. I want to cry.

Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?
I used to. I am realising now that what they say is right.

Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?
No.

Have you had to have a drink in the morning during the past year?

Yes. Last year it was at its worst. I would get desperate for a drink and wake up with it the first thing on my mind. I kept alcohol in my room just in case I couldn't face getting to the kitchen.

Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
Yes. So much. I have never been able to be like that, not since I very first started drinking. Funnily, when I started university I prided myself on being nothing like everyone else, having already had my drinking experiences so not needing to go wild. So instead of going wild I was home, getting drunk, alone.

Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?
Yes.

Do you ever try to get 'extra' drinks at a party because you do not get enough?
I usually get drunk before the party starts.

Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?
I've stopped telling myself that because I know it isn't true.

Have you missed days off work because of drinking?
Actually, no. I always go to my seminars even if I'm out my head.

Do you have blackouts?

Real ones. Not just "Oh I can't really remember" or "Haha did I really do that?" But genuine blackouts with no recollection, during which I ahve sometimes done terrible things.
Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?
I know it would. My medication would work better. With that sorted, I would have a real shot at being genuinely happy.

What's your score?

I am scared to tot up...
Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

dollpart don't be afraid of the truth. It's your friend, whether you realize it or not.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dollpart - the only requirement for AA is the desire to stop drinking. There is no one size fits all. For me, I was truly unhappy. Suicidal actually. If you want to rid yourself of the obsession to drink and are open to change and willing to do whatever it takes then AA has worked for many - you have nothing to loose.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you xx
Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

I could quit for 2 weeks, but would always go back to it.

Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?

Of course I did because they were interfering in my drinking.

Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?

I would also say no to this, because the honest truth is I like getting drunk. I did switch my alcohol to one with a higher content and that was cheaper because I needed more and more of it.

I've been sober for over 20 months, but my favorite time to drink was first thing in the AM. I was next to giddy when I could go to the beer store at 9:30 am.

I always drank by myself to get drunk. I would go out and have a few drinks, but you can bet I had my "other" alcohol all ready to go for when I got home. I never got into too much trouble, but did make some bad decisions while out and drunk. I never really envied people though as I probably figured it was normal.

Yes, tons of problems because of my drinking and of course at the time they weren't my fault!

No because I would get really drunk when I got home..

Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?

I always told myself this. I could stop when I wanted to, I just didn't want to.

yes, and even took stress leave because it became too much and needed to have more time to drink.

Do you have blackouts?

I am sure I had quite a few.

As you can see Dollpart you aren't alone. Don't be scared to tally your total. It can be freeing.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I get a 9 out of 10 answered yes!! . . . the only one I said no to was the drinking in the morning, but that probably was only a matter of time!!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I remember taking this test 8 years ago and answered yes to every question. I wasn't surprised. I never really considered not being an alcoholic; I sort of always knew I was. I just figured it'd be something I could more or less manage. And I was wrong about that.

I think if I went on at about that same level I was 8 years ago I never would've gotten sober. Things had to get very bad. And they did.

I think the ones who die out there are either extremely tough or don't have the constraints that're imposed on them by the drink: the money constraint (I lost my job) and the health constraint (I end up in the ER after every bender) were my big ones. If I was rich, didn't have to work, and didn't have severe withdrawals after my benders I never would have stopped.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@LadyinBC, thank you for answering the questions so honestly, it helped to see someone else's answers

& Thanks @purpleknight.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I thought that it was cool and supportive that LadyinBC filled out the survey so I did it too. I hope it will encourage you You are not alone and you can get sober.

No. This is my second time in recovery. The last time I decided to quit, I was sober over 5 years

I drank completely alone, nothing social about my drinking just drinking alone and feeling miserable with my phones turned off.

Yes, when I relapsed I switched to beer. My last time drinking hard liquor (rum) was March 19, 2001

No, I have been sober over 14 months but along with being seriously suicidal, the last 3 weeks before I went back in recovery I started drinking in the morning when I was not working

No

Not this past year but in 2001 I ended up vomiting blood in the ER. During the holidays seasons of 2012/13 I was so depressed I was planning my suicide. I also had physical problems such as vomiting to drink more and stomach problems. My immune system was affected too and I was sick all the time.

No and I would not drink or have only one at the party then rush home and slam them and get drunk alone. Toward the end, I started isolating and turning down parties and lunch invitations. I'd rather be drinking than with my friends

No denial either for me, I knew I was an alcoholic and in deep trouble

Never

Do you have blackouts?
I think I did, many nights I did not remember going to my bed. I had pass out (as opposed to going to sleep) for sure. I love having a good night of real sleep these days

The last one you did post but I answered anyway.
Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink? It is much better nowadays but the messed up part is that I knew it and had completely forgotten how better a sober life was so instead of going right back to AA I dwelled into depression and thoughts of suicide. How crazy was that?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for filling that in. It's really so helpful to hear others' answers and your story of recovery is really inspiring.

xx
Old 04-08-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also said yes to every single one.

Except the drinking in the morning part.

Hard to drink in the morning when you drink till 4 or 5 am and sleep till noon. lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just took morning to mean "soon as you wake up"...
Old 04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I just wanted to add that I hope you will join us at the 24 hours club where we commit not to drink or drug for the next 24 hours. Those days do add up http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4577439
and another thing which I also wanted to add is that even for those who drink completely alone like I did, our drinking has consequences. I don't think I ever shared it on SR but I missed the funerals of a dear friend and coworkers in January 2013 right before I got sober. He had just passed away from an heart attack and I had taken a few vacation days (scheduled before his death). Anyway, I was off work so I was isolating at home and drinking and I missed the notification for his funerals and I missed his funerals and that was something very painful to deal with that I did not get to say goodbye because I was a drunk.
Please give sobriety a chance, if you make use of SR and check in everyday, it is a very supportive community with tons of infos. Also if you have not done so yet, check out AA in your area. Go to a few meetings to see which one you like (meetings differ), talk to some of the ladies and get their phone numbers, start working the steps etc. Give recovery your best shot, it is worth it: you are worth it.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Please give sobriety a chance, if you make use of SR and check in everyday, it is a very supportive community with tons of infos. Also if you have not done so yet, check out AA in your area. Go to a few meetings to see which one you like (meetings differ), talk to some of the ladies and get their phone numbers, start working the steps etc. Give recovery your best shot, it is worth it: you are worth it.
Totally have to second everything Carlotta has said. I wish I would have found this site when I did first try quitting. I didn't find this place until it I was 5 months sober, but it honestly has really made a big difference. There are also chat meeting here every Tues & Fri they start at 9:00 est.

I come to this site everyday, it a great way to keep myself humble and in check as well.

AA is a great start in just being with people that are also going thru what you are going thru. I just find comfort sometimes just sitting there and listening to people share their stories.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Like Carlotta I was an at home drinker so my score is pretty low.(3) The more I get the more I want. I know this so the score or the label isn't so important.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Like they say: It's not what you drink, how much you drink or how often you drink: it's about how it affects you. With me, I felt absolutely awful.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I can just cut to the chase. I failed that thing miserably. 100%.

Unless I can some points off for swapping booze. I didn't do it to fool myself. I did it based on what was on sale,
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I didn't even study and I got 100%.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful

My answers are what I would have answered a year ago (will have 1 year sober in about a week).

Yes, but I usually didn't even last for a couple of days.

Yes, but most people gave up tying to convince me.

No

Yes, almost daily for the last year.

Yes, but only when I got in trouble. I didn't get in trouble every time I got drunk, but every time I got in trouble I was drunk.

Yes

Yes

I did at one time but not towards the end.

Yes, and I have lost jobs because of it.

Do you have blackouts?

Yes, not a lot but some of the ones I did have were doozies.

Yes, and it turned out to be true.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I thought it might be helpful for you to hear what it was like for a "hopeless" alcoholic, but also what it's like now.

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Then: I remember the first time I quit drinking for 24 hours. It was incredibly difficult. I was so proud of myself, I kept drinking for another 10 years. I swore off drinking several times a week, but when I really, really tried to quit it was hard to stay stopped for more than a couple of days.

Now: I've been happily sober for 4 years. The smell of alcohol is awful. The thought of alcohol is awful. No desire to drink--when I use hand sanitizer at the gym, the smell of the alcohol makes me gag. No desire to drink again, ever.

Then: It used to irritate me terribly. I decided to solve the problem by lying to people to their face. "Yes, I quit drinking." (For this current hour.) Or I just stopped being around people when I drank so I wouldn't have to hear about it.

Now: I think people who didn't know me several years ago would be shocked to hear I used to have a serious drinking problem. Now people say things like, "Oh, that's right, you don't care for alcohol." as if I'd been a lifelong teetotaler. (Which makes me laugh a lot...)

Then: Yes. I was a drink vodka straight from the bottle kind of girl. I went through a phase when I thought wine wouldn't be so problematic and then beer and then when I realized the problem was alcohol, I said ** it and switched back to vodka until I finally quit.

Now: I've never gotten drunk off mineral water, coffee, or tea. So far so good!

Then: Yes, I drank in the morning for years. I was often drunk before 7 am and was usually tipsy when I went in to work. Weekends were often an all day affair.

Now: Yes. I need my cup of tea or coffee! haha

Then: Yes, but then I discovered the secret of drinking alone in my room and while I stayed out of trouble, it went downhill fast.

Now: I don't envy people who drink, period. It seems like a waste of good brain cells, calories, and time. I love being sober and aware and in touch with who I really am. That was one of the biggest surprises. (Took a lot of step work, therapy, time, and patience, but I'm pretty much at peace with myself now.)

Then: I had lots of problems connected with drinking, but didn't make the connection for a long time. I thought drinking was solving my problems, or providing an escape, but not creating them.

Now: I still have problems, but they're pretty minor and I deal with life much, much better now. And people even come to me for advice or help with dealing with their problems--something that never happened when I was a technocolor train wreck!

Then: Yes, or I'd drink more after the party, or I'd just skip the party entirely so I could stay home and drink properly.

Now: I make sure to have as many n/a drinks as I like. Parties are much more enjoyable when I'm not making an ** out of myself!

Then: At first, I used to say it and then I realized I couldn't. I really felt hopeless and was pretty sure I was going to die a drunk.

Now: I have stopped! Now it's just maintenance, which is much, much easier than early sobriety.

Then: Yes. Many. Never got fired since people believed I was "sick" but I should have been.

Now: I'm barely even sick any more and when I do get sick I recovery pretty quickly. Had no idea I was so healthy!

Do you have blackouts?

Then: Yes. Regularly. By the end, the blackouts would last for 2-3 days. Scary. I would come out of them an absolute lunatic and it was around that time a few friends confessed that they were truly afraid I was going to be dead soon if I didn't stop.

Now: Only when I put my head to the pillow and go to sleep!

Then: I thought my life would be better if I could drink and get away with it. It took a while before I was ready to quit altogether.

Now: It is better than I can possibly express in words. I have my soul back. I'm not the slave of a vicious addiction. I am grateful every day for my sobriety. It's the foundation of my life.

What's your score?
Then: A hopeless drunk.
Now: A grateful recovered alcoholic who truly hopes that everyone will let go of their fears and pursue sobriety at all costs, no matter what. It truly does get much, much better.

I am scared to tot up...
I hope this is helpful. Many of us had to take this quiz for the first time, so we all understand how you feel. Nothing to be afraid of. If you know alcohol is a problem, then let go of it. Pursue sobriety. It's worth it and so are you.