Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
soberShane

I can totally relate to how you describe your drinking and wanting to just quit one day. I too would go for days and even weeks sometimes with little to no alcohol consumption. Even when I drink there is no guarantee I'm going to go too far or endanger myself since I've been known to have dinner drinks and be just fine, no cravings to keep going, no uncontrollable urge to continue.

But none of that means I don't have a drinking problem. As a matter of fact, I recognize now that dismissing the idea I might have a problem was a bad idea because it kept me repeating a behavior that was likened to Russian Roulette in my life, because if I even gave myself the slightest permission to indulge, say for a friend's birthday, or if i had a DD then I would be rolling the dice with my life.

I applaud you for realizing that a few days per week of being good doesn't make up for the times you fall down. As for your mate, my heart breaks for you. I have a supportive non-drinker wife and she has never liked my partying. I'm not suggesting you ditch him at all, but there is no way I could do this without the support of somebody so close to me. What a great opportunity this would be for you both to get sober and really let your love for each other go wild. Imagine the "intimacy" you'll experience when you're both clean and home every night of the week, and you have this newfound appreciation for each other.

Best of luck to you Speed Bump:-)

Last edited by soberShane; 04-03-2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo